Talking point piece from David Akin
Jail Time and the Census – Worthwhile Canadian Initiative
The new talking point on the census: Tony Clement: Data is valuable to many. But personal questions you would like to force Cdns to answer on pain of jail is just plain wrong. Maxime Bernier: Why…The new talking point on the census:
Data is valuable to many. But personal questions you would like to force Cdns to answer on pain of jail is just plain wrong.
Why in the world should peaceful and honest citizens be threatened with jail if they refuse to answer these questions?!
This argument omits three facts:
- The short-form census is still mandatory.
- The short-form census asks personal questions such as marital status.
- The maximum penalty for non-compliance with the short-form is… jail time.If the problem is the threat of jail time, then remove the threat!
- Ottawa Citizen: How the federal government can really defend privacy
- Globe and Mail: Provinces rally against Ottawa as anger over census mounts
- Imagine Canada: Proposed Changes to Census Data Collection will Create Challenges for Canada’s Charities and Nonprofits
- I am a Canadian grandmama:
- The Record: Local groups fear reduced census data will make their jobs tougher
- The Calgary Herald: Census controversy not the feds’ finest hour
- CTV news: Manitoba, Ontario among provinces backing long census
- CBC: CBC Virtual Town Hall: Ending the mandatory long census form
- Worthwhile Canadian Initiative: Toronto Sun Flip-Flops on Census and a Voice of Reason at the Post
- Canoe.ca: I stand corrected. Something else for Clement to fix.
- Globe and Mail: Premiers want say in census feud
- Globe and Mail: Clement accused of misrepresenting census impact
- Globe and Mail: One Liberal, one Tory, two perspectives on the latest in Canadian politics
- The Village Voice Hudson: Long Form Census: What is it for? The ‘Silent Majority’ probably don’t know, M. Bernier, but that doesn’t constitute ‘agreement’.
- BigCityLib Strikes Back: Tips on Beating Down the Conservative Menace When Ministers Tweet Falsely
- Canadian Press: Big business silence on census is conspicuous
- Toronto Sun: Tory MP asks for clarification on census
- The Toronto Star: Ontario blasts plan to scrap long-form census
- Runesmith’s Canadian: Fun Facts About the Census
- CTV: Manitoba, Ontario among provinces backing long census
- Winnipeg Free Press: U.S. tested, then abandoned the idea of a voluntary census
- Letter: Canadian Association of University Teachers
- david Akin: The New talking point on the Census
- The Toronto Sun: Census data is important
- CBC: UPDATED – CensusWatch: Suddenly, everyone wants to talk statistics with Tony Clement …
- Toronto Sun: It makes census to keep it short
- Alberta Prime Time: Statistics Shuffle
- The Canadian Association of Public Data Users (CAPDU): CAPDU Census Position Statement
- Canadian Press: Premiers expected to raise census issue at meeting
- Edmonton Journal: Edmonton vows to fight elimination of long census Cancellation of federal questionnaire would hurt municipalities:
- CBC: Statistics aficionados, start your engines: Liveblogging the census debate at Industry … or not.
- Catholic Register: Lack of census data will hurt Catholic entities
- Edmonton Sun: City opposes 2011 census
- Maggie Gordon’s Blog:
- Macleans: Better know a talking point
- Eye on the Hill: Censusmania – Who cares outside of Ottawa?
- Western Standard: Maxime Bernier: Scrapping the compulsory long-form census questionnaire
- Toronto Sun: Censusmania Who cares outside of Ottawa?
- I see Census complaints…
- The following picture is from a twitter post
Comments on Posts